Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Aaaaand without flash

Okay, so I'm pretty excited about this, even if the flash is interfering with posting a truly representational photo of this painting. Why am I excited? Because I only used six different colors (from a tube) to paint this; because I essentially used nothing but an altered primary color scheme (in addition to different representations of white and black) to create multiple colors; because I painted a painting using mostly a "complementary colors" distribution as my guide (although at times it would seem that I followed the "triadic" pattern); because it looks like I've used green and purple but I haven't; because I thought this piece through and executed it successfully using color theory that I learned earlier this year.

My altered primary color scheme is: quinacridone violet (the main color throughout the entire piece), phthalo blue (green shade), and cadmium yellow medium hue. The gray scale colors are: titanium white, carbon black, and N6 neutral gray (although I supposed I could have mixed my own gray, but that would have been a lot of extra work...). My main brush is my size 16 flat Bordeaux brush by Royal & Langnickel.

The colors in the hills are a mix of pure quinacridone violet (the blending color), 25% carbon black + 75% quinacridone violet (mostly appearing on the left-hand side of the piece, from the viewer's perspective), and a dark green created by mixing the following complicated string of colors: 50% cadmium yellow medium hue + 50% phthalo blue (green shade) = + 25% cadmium yellow medium hue = + 25% carbon black = + 50% quinacridone violet (only appearing on the right-hand side of the piece, from the viewer's perspective).

The sunset itself is a mix of pure quinacridone violet (the blending color), 50% quinacridone violet + 50% N6 neutral gray, and an red-orange created by mixing the following complicated string of colors: 50% quinacridone violet + 50% cadmium yellow medium hue = + 25% cadmium yellow medium hue = + 50% titanium white. The glow of yellow on top of the hills (which I still need to touch up just a wee bit) is 50% cadmium yellow medium hue + 50% titanium white, brushed on with a small round brush. The signature is done in the same red-orange from the sunset.

And the sun itself? This is brilliant: it's 75% phthalo blue (green shade) + 25% cadmium yellow medium hue! And the halo of pink around it? I think that is the original underpainting of quinacridone violet mixed with roughly eight parts regular gel (semi-gloss) showing thru as some color pull happened during the application of the other sunset colors. I love how the sun came out. It truly is like a Kansas sunset...

Canvas is pre-stretched; 24 x 48 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment