Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Art Project"



And this was my test! I like how it came out.

The project was to draw an abstract in pencil and then paint in four quadrants using different color schemes that could be viewed as one continuous abstract. The upper left quadrant was "monochromatic" (i.e., tints, tones, and shades of one hue). I chose the red-orange hue (i.e., 50% cadmium red medium hue mixed with 50% cadmium yellow light hue, the result of which was then mixed with a new 50% of cadmium red medium hue so that it landed closer to the red than the yellow end of the color wheel). The tint for this was then the resulting red-orange, mixed with 50% titanium white; the tone was the resulting red-orange, mixed with 50% gray (which was itself 50% titanium white mixed with 50% mars black); and the tone was the red-orange mixed with 50% mars black. That quadrant was painted in only those colors, wtih a tiny bit of white thrown in to enhance some spots. Confused yet?

The upper right quadrant was "analogous" (i.e., three colors adjacent on the color wheel). I chose cadmium red medium hue, dioxazine purple, and the red-purple that was the result of mixing both of those.

The lower right quadrant (my favorite, by the way) was "triadic" (i.e., three colors equally spaced on the color wheel). I chose to use the red-purple (i.e., 50% cadmium red medium hue mixed with 50% dioxazine purple), which I had also used in the "analogous" quadrant, the yellow-orange (i.e., 50% cadmium red medium hue mixed with 50% cadmium yellow light hue, the result of which was then mixed with a new 50% of cadmium yellow light hue so that it landed closer to the yellow than the red end of the color wheel), and the blue-green (i.e., 50% phthalo blue mixed with 50% cadmium yellow light hue, the result of which was then mixed with a new 50% of phthalo blue). I really dig how this came out.

My final quadrant, the lower left quadrant, was "complementary" (i.e., two opposite colors on the color wheel). I was trying to bring it back around, so I went with the blue-green from the "triadic" quadrant and the "red-orange" from the "monochromatic" quadrant. I was allowed to use a little bit of white here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment