Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Which direction?

I think I'm going to change the name of this piece from Kansas at Twilight to Orange Square in order to move away from influencing the viewer too much. While it's true that I love to talk about what inspired a painting, or what I see in the final execution, I suppose (to quote George) that that's not the point...

And now for more important issues: Which way to turn this thing? Really, whoever ends up owning this piece can turn it whichever direction they like (and, so far, three of the four orientations are a hit, including this one), but I have to hang it in a show (and, by extension, attach hanging wire), so that means I have to make a decision. I think I'm going to go with the original orientation (rotate this view 180 degrees) in order to create tension.

In other news, I received a high compliment the other day... from another artist, no less! Upon viewing this piece, I was told that, "I never got abstract art before, but this painting... just took it to another level for me. I had an epiphany, and I feel like I finally understand what abstract art is about." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but I just had to share. I was beaming from ear to ear, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment