Monday, August 22, 2016

Featured Post: Vik Muniz

Back in 2009, I had the chance to see a Vik Muniz exposition in São Paulo, Brazil. It was by chance that his art was on display that day at the São Paulo Museum of Art (MASP), and I fell in love with the work: huge images that were technically photographs, but of large scale temporary sculptures made of recyclables, trash, and other objects and substances, including ketchup and mustard! I had never been so mesmerized by an art exhibit in my life. On my way to the MASP, I had been more excited to be taking public transportation in one of the biggest cities in the world by myself than to be going to see an art show. But at that point, I hadn't even heard of Vik Muniz. Once I found the MASP doors, I found one of my favorite living artists.

His work is beautiful and striking, not only in terms of the actual final image, but also in terms of the concept, process, and story that go into the making of an image. One sculpture had been constructed out of computer parts culled from a landfill; only when you walked up close to the photograph could you see that the contours of long dead computer monitors were forming one part of the image, piles of computer mice another. I don't remember what the final image was, but it very well could have been a person or a street scene; perhaps it was a global map, painted in electronic trash.

If you get the chance to see his work in person, I highly recommend that you check it out. His work can also be seen online at Artsy: https://www.artsy.net/artist/vik-muniz.

I took this photo on a hilltop in São Paulo; I don't think I got one of the subway system or the MASP!

No comments:

Post a Comment