Sunday, November 30, 2014

The art show that didn't happen

Update: The art show that I mentioned back in March did not actually happen. My apologies for not blogging about this sooner... at least it's still technically November.

The show was cancelled because I thought I would be traveling outside of the country in late October and thus would be unable to hang my show, have a proper opening, and take sales for most of the month. I wanted to be a good businesswoman and let the venue know with enough advance to book another artist, so I contacted Radina's back in August to let them know I would not be able to have the show as scheduled. I toyed with the idea of asking another artist to hang my show in absentia, but that did not feel like the right thing to do. Another artist did say he would do it, if he had a more concrete handle on his own schedule. We both decided it was too uncertain to make promises...

As luck would have it, I did not travel outside of the country, but by the time I made that decision it was too late to do anything about the original show. Once you bow out, you have to assume the venue has already found somebody else to show their work. It didn't feel good to no longer have a show, but each decision impacts the next and that's how everything came out in the wash. While I'd love to have have had my work up at the coffee shop this month, that's not how things turned out and I've accepted that!

No comments:

Post a Comment