Sunday, October 3, 2010

15 Artists in 15 Minutes

I originally posted this on Facebook:

Fifteen Artists who've influenced you and that will ALWAYS STICK WITH YOU.

1. Edgar Degas (I've heard he was a misogynist, so I should hate him. But he got me interested in doing art like Jethro Tull got me interested in playing flute, so I can't ignore him.)

2. Michelangelo (I don't pay much attention to him these days, but he has the best male lines ever. I should try to do some sketches off of his sketches, just to get myself some practice.)

3. Salvador Dalí (I'm embarrassed to admit this one - he wasn't a true surrealist, right? - but I do still find myself drawn to some of his work in inexplicable ways. He explored interesting corners of the mind in ways no one else quite has or can.)

4. Pablo Picasso (I did not originally like Picasso. Then I saw one up close and realized the true genius of his painting style - the brush strokes. Furthermore, his abstractions and dividing of the face and body have REALLY grown on me over the years. A life goal of mine is to see Guernica in person.)

5. Mark Rothko (I took only one art class in college, which was taught by a graduate student. He made me study an artist, and write a flimsy, three-page paper. I scoffed at the idea initially, but ended up learning that there is more to color than meets the eye. I had chosen Rothko, if you haven't figured that out yet. He never left me.)

6. Diego Velázquez ('Las Meninas' is THE best painting in centuries, hands down. No one will ever fully figure it out, which is what makes it so great. It has inspired more than a few of my own paintings.)

7. Edvard Munch (His work is truly haunting, especially 'The Dance of Life.' Screw 'The Scream.' It's good, obviously, but it's kids' stuff compared to his other work.)

8. George Preuss (My beloved George gave me more ideas for how to treat your own art than anyone else. In a nutshell? 'Don't treat it like it's precious and priceless; no one's bought it yet.')

9. Frida Kahlo (She may not be an artist in some senses, but boy can she move your emotions.)

10. Egon Schiele (I didn't realize for a long time that Schiele was an influence on me, but lots of other people have noticed threads of his in my work, prompting me to do some soul searching. I decided that I agreed with their observation, although I am not truly worthy of the comparison.)

11. Gao Xingjian (My sister Tiffany gave me a book by Xingjian for Christmas years ago, entitled 'Return to Painting.' I wasn't that impressed with his art at first, until I started reading the philosophy behind his approach to making art. I couldn't tell you about it if we sat down for coffee today, but I do know that the currents of his thought are always in my subconscious as I do art.)

12. Arlene Ladell Hayes (I have only once walked into a gallery and seen a work of art that left me dumbfounded and speechless. The gallery was Monte Wade Fine Arts Gallery in La Villita, San Antonio. The work was from Arlene Ladell Hayes' Spirit Walker series. I will own one of her Spirit Walker paintings some day.)

13. Dana Schutz (I first found out about her work by reading an article in Vogue magazine a few years back. Her stuff is brilliant, fresh, disturbing, colorful, etc. I think Shay will agree!)

14. Wangechi Mutu (I also found this artist in Vogue magazine. Her work is also brilliant, fresh, disturbing, and colorful. Watch out for both of them in the future!)

15. Tracey Emin (What can I say? James introduced me to her. She's a fuck up, and driven by artistic impulses in ways that most people can only dream of. She challenges you to think. She repulses you. It's art and it's meta-art. 'Nuff said.)

I tried to organize the artists in general chronological order of influence. I also wanted to add Lisa Lala, Itzchak Tarkay, Henri Matisse, and Amadeo Modigliani to the list, but I ran out of room.

No comments:

Post a Comment