Sunday, February 21, 2010

Upcoming Event Number 2!!! (KC, MO)


During the March First Fridays event in the Kansas City Crossroads Art District, 24 artists (your truly included) will be participating in a live-auction drawing fest with donated materials in the Arts Incubator loft space. The theme is "Kansas City," and the work that is produced will then be auctioned off to raise money for the Newhouse Women's Shelter, a non-profit organization that aims to prevent domestic violence against women in the KC area.

Happy hour begins at 6:30, the drawing starts at 7:00, the silent auction for the live art starts at 8:00, etc. Admission is free to the public and art (both live and donated) will be purchased in a silent auction.

I personally plan to approach the theme from my own personal artistic strengths and personal experience with Kansas City. This means I'm going to draw nudes (and I'm going to bring color materials to add another dimension to my work) while trying to figure out a way to incoporate my favorite elements of KC into the background: TWA (my grandfather was a pilot for TWA back in the glory days, and my grandmother a stewardess... briefly), Midtown, the West Bottoms, and whatever else strikes my fancy. This is not the first time I have participated in an art donation/ auction event in KC, nor is it the first time I have had donated work on display at Arts Incubator. But here's hoping I don't totally suck, because it IS the first time I have drawn live in front of an audience of more than 2 people. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment